[Dnsmasq-discuss] writing a dhclient-exit-hooks script to manage dnsmasq

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 22:52:23 BST 2009

Rance Hall wrote:
> when I try the dyndns type approach I keep getting emails from the
> system saying my account is going to be suspended due to inactivity.
>
> I either need to write a second script to force a dyndns update even
> if no ip address has changed, and maintain the script that comes with
> the service so I can get faster response when my ip does change.

You might want to take a look at Dynamic Host Information Services
(http://dhis.org/). They offer a dynamic DNS service that is
specifically designed to time out after a short period of time (by
default, 6 minutes) and works with a client that repeatedly lets the
service know that it is still alive at and what IP address. This is a
better (and in some ways more secure) approach to dynamic DNS. It
reduces the chance that someone trying to connect to a service on your
servers is going to get connected to someone else at your ISP who
happened to pick up your IP address.

See:
http://dhis.org/WebEngine.ipo?context=dhis.website.links.tech
and: