[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmask problems/questions

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:07:51 BST 2009

On 08/06/2009 09:49 AM, JD wrote:
> On Fedora11, dnsmasq-2.46-2.fc11.i586 :
> I have restart dnsmasq several times per day
> because firefox fails to resolv the url, and
> thunderbird fail to connect to the mailserver (gmail).
>
> I have to repeatedly run
> sudo service dnsmasq restart
>
> in order to get things working again.
>
> My /etc/resolv.dnsmasq contains
>
> search sbcglobal.net
> nameserver 151.164.8.201
> nameserver 65.68.49.6
> nameserver 66.73.20.40
> nameserver 68.94.157.1
> nameserver 68.94.156.1
>
> And /etc/resolv.conf contains
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> And /etc/dnsmasq.conf contains only one setting:
> resolv-file=/etc/resolv.dnsmasq
>

> When I first boot up, dnsmasq is running, but with arguments
> that are not set in the dnsmasq.conf file. I do  not know
> where it is getting those arguments. Also, after bootup,
> I cannot resolve ANY internet address.
> As I stated above, I have to  sudu service dnsmasq restart
> in  order to be able to resolve addresses.
> After the restart, ps -wwef | grep dnsmasq  shows it
> running without ANY command line args, but works for
> a while only.
>
> So, I do not know what is wrong with the conf file.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

Tom asked me to do netstat -anp --program to see if there were other
proceses listening on port 53.
Well, turns out NO. Only dnsmasq is the process doing that:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign
Address             State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53
0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      5059/dnsmasq
tcp        0      0 :::53
:::*                        LISTEN      5059/dnsmasq
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53
0.0.0.0:*                               5059/dnsmasq
udp        0      0 :::53
:::*                                    5059/dnsmasq

So, I am still having the problem of dnsmasq stops working after a few
minutes.

Thanks,

JD