[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmask problems/questions

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:41:17 BST 2009

JD wrote:
> Well, avahai-daemon must be the culprit.

I take it you stopped it and that fixed the problem? What inspired you
to try that?

> If I knew more about Avahi (does it cache dns entries?) perhaps
> I would properly configure and use avahi-daemon instead
> of dnsmasq.

I haven't had close dealing with avahi-daemon and know little about it,
but I can say I have it running on an Ubuntu desktop along with Dnsmasq
with no DNS problems. The avahi-daemon man page says:

   The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf architecture
   (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon registers local
   IP addresses and static services using mDNS/DNS-SD and provides two
   IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS record cache the
   avahi-daemon maintains.

Based on that I don't think it's going to be useful as a general purpose
DNS cache. If that's all you want, you might want to try nscd.

> Well, I had hoped the devs of this program were still actively
> trying to fix it's bugs.

They are. If you check the list archives you'll see that Simon Kelley is
a frequent responder and regularly posts announcements of updates. You
just need to have a bit more patience.

Being without DNS obviously is problematic, so you either need to
temporarily forgo caching or switch to an alternative solution until
Simon can investigate.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro