[Dnsmasq-discuss] router won't query itsself

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:21:36 BST 2009

On 08/12/2009 11:07 AM, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, JD,
>
> jd1008 at gmail.com meinte am 12.08.09 in dnsmasq zum Thema Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] router won't query itsself:
>

>> /etc/resolv.conf must ONLY contain
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>

>> AND
>>

>> /etc/dnsmasq.conf   must set
>>

>> resolv-file=/etc/resolv.dnsmasq
>>

>> Or whatever you decide to call that file, which contains the list of
>> the real nameservers.
>>

> Just a (not tested) idea:
>
> pppoe and router connections into the WAN lead (in many distributions)
> to a file "/etc/ppp/resolv.conf" which contains the 2 nameservers the
> ISP proposes.
>
> "resolv-file" may lead to this file.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut
>
> __
Hi Helmut,
Even so, I do not see the need to let the host be bothered by a changing
IP address provided by the ISP.
Let all that be handled by a cheap router, whose LAN ip address remains
constant to the lan in it's
subnet for which it is the gateway. You can always query the router for
what IT'S nameservers (provided
by the ISP) are.

I am surprised that people are making work for themselves for nothing.

Cheers,

JD