[Dnsmasq-discuss] One client gets my domain name appended, another gets .local, why?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Aug 25 17:44:33 BST 2009

I have dnsmasq running with a fairly basic configuration but (among
other things) it does have:-

    expand-hosts
    domain=isbd.net

Two clients do as I expected and their host names have isbd.net appended:-

    maxine.isbd.net          ether   00:50:8d:93:fd:09   C                eth0
    C475IP.isbd.net          ether   00:01:e3:9d:8b:b5   C                eth0

But one doesn't:-

    MyBookWorld.local        ether   00:90:a9:70:06:ff   C                eth0

Can anyone explain why that one gets .local appended rather than
.isbd.net and more to the point how can I fix it (apart from hard
coding it somewhere)?  MyBookWorld.local is a Western Digital NAS
running some sort of Linux, I have command line root access to it but
would prefer not to modify it if there's a better way to make it get
the domain name.

The MyBookWorld.local system does know it's on isbd.net because it's
resolv.conf file has:-

    search isbd.net
    nameserver 192.168.1.4

--