[Dnsmasq-discuss] MAN Page Link Broken? and redundancy question

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 00:40:18 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Robert Boerner<robert.boerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> I am in fact using a separate router as the gateway. I like the idea
> of splitting the pool, but that brings up a follow-on question...what
> about static reservations I have set? Can I simply have them on both?

AFAIK, yes.

> That also brings up yet another question...is it 'wrong' to have
> static reservations assigned to addresses that are within the normal
> scope? I know best practice is to have them designated outside, but I
> am trying to replace a Windows box in an environment where people have
> been assigning static reservations within the regular DHCP scope for
> years. I don't want to have to redo everything.

Some people may frown upon it, but my experience is that dnsmasq will
reserve any address corresponding to a static assignment and not give
it away to any other client.  So you should be fine.

Something simple (and nearly stateless) Simon could do to make this
use-case work a little better -- a configuration parameter
load-balancer k of N, where dnsmasq responds immediately if
hash(client address) % N == k and delays by a second otherwise.

That way instead of the fastest hardware always responding first and
running out of addresses, the clients would be more evenly spread
among the subpools and you'd have more runtime following a failure
before all clients get moved into (and exhaust) the surviving pool(s).