[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS search Order

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Sep 24 12:31:04 BST 2009

Philippe Faure wrote:
> thank you Simon,
>
> I was wondering with version 2.51, will the 10 seconds, and 50 queries
> be configurable?

No easily, it's in the set of parameters at the start of src/config,h
that can be changed by recompilation (I wonder if anyone has ever tunned
any of those: I doubt it)

> I can see in some situations where 50 queries is
> reached very quickly, for example in corporate applications. On the
> other hand, home networks, where little traffic is produced during the
> day, a much longer time frame or quantity of queries may be acceptable.

Under heavy load, where the 50 queries limit is reached first, the
effect will be to increase the total load on upstream servers by ~2%,
assuming that there are two of them. (every 50th query will be sent to
both servers.) That doesn't seem to me to be a big enough hit to worry
about. The aim is to track which server is best and subjectively, it
does seem to work with my ISPs slightly dodgy servers.