[Dnsmasq-discuss] cname apparently not working

Tom Metro tmetro+dnsmasq at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 00:47:05 BST 2009

Simon Kelley wrote:
> Christoph .J Thompson wrote:
>> I can't seem to get cname to work for me. Maybe I'm doing something I'm not
>> suposed to, but it's not obvious to me. I'm running Linux 2.6. Any help to
>> fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>
> expand-hosts doesn't apply to CNAMEs, you need to provide the FQDN in
> the cname
>
> cname=forum.mylan.eth,machine
>
> etc,etc

The OP didn't post a follow-up, so your response probably addressed his
problem, but isn't it also worth noting that the 'cname' option was only
introduced in version 2.46? (I remember looking for a feature like this
a while ago, so when I saw mention of it in this thread, I suspected it
was a recent addition, and checked the change log.)

Chris G wrote:
> I hunted through the man page but couldn't find it.

Maybe your version of Dnsmasq was too old to support it. (Does Dnsmasq
complain visibly if it doesn't recognize a config directive?)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA