[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq returns addresses for non-existent hosts - what have I mis-configured?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 9 13:58:25 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:25:11AM -0500, Perette Barella wrote:
> It looks like your provider has set up a wildcard A record, which is
> similar to DNS hijacking as a "helpful" feature to users who miskey a
> domain name.  It's not isolated to you:
>
> mugenshi:etc x10$ host ghijk.isbd.net
> ghijk.isbd.net has address 195.74.61.93
> ghijk.isbd.net mail is handled by 10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.
>
> You could check Gradwell's support pages, but I doubt there is an
> option to shut it off, since the DNS is published this way.  It's a
> publication problem/"feature", not a bug in dnsmasq.

I do in fact have the ability to change my domain's zone files.

... and there is what you describe (N.B. this from a web form, not
exact zone file syntax) :-

    *   195.74.61.93                    86400   A
    *   10 mail-in-1.lb.gradwell.net.   86400   MX

So can I simply delete these two entries?  (OK, people mis-typing domain
names *might* be affected but that's mostly me so I don't see a big
issue there)

--
Chris Green