[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem compiling 2.51 on Solaris 2009.06

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Nov 21 09:30:19 GMT 2009

Lee Essen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been a dnsmasq user for quite a few years on both Solaris and
> Linux, but it's been a while since I've tried to build on Solaris.
> I've just tried to build 2.51 on the latest Solaris build and there
> seems to be a number of really fundamental issues.
>
> I notice Solaris mentioned quite a few times in the changelog so
> there seems to be a continued effort around this, and I certainly
> don't remember any issues in the past, however unless I'm doing
> something fundamentally wrong (which is a distinct possibility) I
> think a few tweaks are needed...
>
> I have attached a patch that covers all the changes I needed to make,
> although I must confess that whilst it's now compiles I haven't
> tested it yet.
>
> Three main problems...
>
> 1.  config.h is included after sys/socket.h -- this means that
> _XPG4_2 isn't defined yet and therefore all of the CMSG_* defines get
> missed (CMSG_SPACE for example.)
>
> 2. struct ifreq seems to have become struct lifrect (at least if you
> need ifr_mtu), so this impacts a number of references in two or three
> files.
>
> 3. LOG_PRI doesn't seem to exist at all.
>
> I'm not suggesting my patch is the right solution, it's probably far
> from it, but it's enough to highlight the issues.
>
> If I'm missed something obvious then please let me know, otherwise
> I'll continue to test and see if I can come up with a less disruptive
> way of incorporating these fixes.

Many thanks for this.

By some weird coincidence, I was working on this yesterday too. I found
and fixed your problems 1 and 3 but didn't get bitten by 2. Does that
turn up as a compile-time problem, or just run-time?

Anyway, the results of my efforts are at

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.52test7.tar.gz

which compile, but have not been functionally tested yet.

Please could you check that and let me know if it's OK, or if I need to
work-in your lifr stuff?