[Dnsmasq-discuss] Resolve all domains to the same IP

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:50:07 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Marc Sallent <marc at marcsallent.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For an interactive installation, I need everybody connecting to my wi-
> fi network to be shown the same page, hosted in my computer.
> I have a router with Dnsmasq installed, connected to the computer with
> the server, IP 1.2.3.4, so everybody looking for, ie. google.com,
> yahoo.com should see only the contents in the server with IP 1.2.3.4
>
> Is that possible?

No, it is not possible.  You cannot force people to view a web page.
You cannot open a web browser remotely.  Even if they open the browser
voluntarily, DNS will not help you since it only is involved when the
client uses a name.  If the client connects by IP address (common
since TCP/IP stacks cache recently used lookups) then dnsmasq never
enters the picture.

Use masquerade as suggested by Laszlo, and realize that people will
still not see your page until they choose to open their browser.