[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS pattern response

Eric Laganowski eric at laganowski.net
Fri Dec 4 17:46:30 GMT 2009

Brad Morgan wrote:
>> Guys, all I want to do is to be able to use my company-provided laptop
>> at home which has proxy in the network. It is configured with a
>> different domain than my local subnet for obvious reasons.
>> DHCP was tested and confirmed to work properly with MSIE. FF does not
>> work as it relies purely on DNS (wpad). The idea is to make this as
>> transparent as possible.
>>

> I think you need two things. First, an DNS entry on your home network that
> resolves wpad.company.network to a local address. Second, at that address,
> you need to provide a web server that serves up a proxy configuration file
> that basically says bypass the proxy for everything. Here's an example
> proxy.pac file:

Brad,

 All the pac files have been setup and confirmed working. I can setup
wpad.company.network and it will work.
I want to accomplish, if you say, a generic kind of design. I do not
want to be dependent on modifying/restarting dnsmasq
every time a client shows up on my network with a different domain name
in it's network properties. I understand that
some people may find it questionable/crazy, but I think it is
technically possible.

Thanks,
Eric