[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range - must ip address of server be outside that?

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 00:09:23 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM, richardvoigt at gmail.com
<richardvoigt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM,  <dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> dnsmasq.conf has a line:
>>
>> dhcp-range=192.168.0.50,192.168.0.150,255.255.255.0,12h
>>
>> (hostmin,hostmax,netmask,leasetime)
>>
>> If I enable that line, must the dnsmasq server itself be outside that range?
>>
>> Ie, for the dnsmasq server:
>>  192.168.0.55 on the LAN interface would be wrong
>> but
>>  192.168.0.45 would be ok.
>
> In my experience, dnsmasq is smart enough to not give out its own
> address, or any addresses mentioned in dhcp-host lines (except to the
> computer to which it is reserved).
>
> It may be confusing, because your address pool is smaller than the
> dhcp-range suggests, and you'll have fewer leases than expected when
> dhcp starts failing, but dnsmasq won't do anything so broken as giving
> away its own address.

Richard:

This is good to know, Ive never even asked dnsmasq to do this, so I
wouldnt have had a clue that it would work correctly.

I always design a static ip pool, a device pool, and a dhcp pool that
way I know whats going on on the network.  and I can easily ignore
devices in searches when Im looking for a problem with an as yet
unidentified pc somewhere.