[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range - must ip address of server be outside that?

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 02:44:06 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM,  <dnsmasq.to.peejay at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Rance wrote:

> On to another issue now: static ips outside the allocated pool.
>
> You seem to be implying that it is better not to define static ips in
> dhcpserver config files (that is, it is better to have them outside the
> dhcp range pool). Why?
>
> (To be clear, I am thinking here of a lan with a mix of static and dynamic
> ips, using a dhcpserver on the lan)
>
> Please explain it, or point me to material that explains why this should
> be a best practice.

As far as your scripting goes, good luck.  I'm always interested in
what people do to solve problems like this, and scripts for your own
use are very different from scripts you intend others to use.

Maybe you can share your ideas/problems.  I'd love to hear.

As far as my ip setup goes I always define at least 3 ( and sometimes
more) sub sets of ips in the range my network is going to use.

1)  Servers that need static ip addresses.
2) devices that need static ip addresses.  (like network printers etc.)
3) dhcp pool

If I need to then I can refine this list some more.

company owned dhcp machines and guest dhcp machines

wireless access devices (like access points, etc)

Why do you do this?

Good form
Minimize problems with ip overlap
easier to troubleshoot later

Every network design class I ever attended or taught had a layout like this.

Maybe its as simple as this is what I know.

as far as asking dnsmasq to always assign the same ip address based on
hostname or mac or some other known attribute, that is possible and I
do that all the time.

Temporary test servers are an example of something I allow to get a
dhcp address but use a mac address to make sure it gets a known value.