[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems With Windows Vista

Jeremy M jeruhme at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 07:33:06 GMT 2010

I've tried everything on this one, but can't figure out what's going on.  I
have a router with 4 internal network interfaces with 4 instances of Dnsmasq
2.51 running independently on each one.  All systems on the network get DHCP
running from the router, Vista will simply not accept the DHCP response even
though requests are all being logged correctly.  I've tried connecting over
wired, wireless (through a WAP) and different network segments/interfaces,
but Vista will not accept a response from anywhere.

For wireless, I'm running DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) in
wireless access point (WAP) mode, so having exhausted everything else, I
tried enabling Dnsmasq (running version 2.45) on the WAP as a last resort
and for some reason, that works fine with Vista.  I tried copying the config
exactly as on the router (with some interface tweaks), but it won't work.
I'm still running DHCP off the WAP just for Vista, but would prefer to run
on the router to centralize services and keep access logs.

I've gone as far as running a packet sniffer on the router, and it appears
to be sending responses, but for some reason, Vista just won't accept them.

Any thoughts or suggestions on why Vista won't accept responses from one
running instance of Dnsmasq (running on router), but will from another
(running on WAP)?

Regards,

Jeremy M.