[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems With Windows Vista

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 12:06:30 GMT 2010

Jeremy M wrote:
> What will the broadcast address in the --dhcp-range configuration affect
> if not broadcast replies?

The value of the "broadcast address" option sent to the client. This
will eventually be installed in the client's network interface, along
with the allocated IP address and the netmask. The broadcast address and
netmask are optional in dhcp-range, since they are normally copied from
the interface on the server which connects to the subnet the client is
on. It's possible to omit them, except that the netmask has to be
supplied when using a DHCP-relay, as dnsmasq can't determine it
automatically.

Don't forget that when the DHCP server is broadcasting to the client,
the client doesn't yet know its IP address, so it can't respond to the
network-broadcast address. Hence the use of 255.255.255.255

HTH

Simon.