[Dnsmasq-discuss] basic host name problem

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Tue Jan 26 00:29:30 GMT 2010

richardvoigt at gmail.com on 25/01/10 21:14, wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Adam Hardy
> <adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>> I've got a gateway server running dnsmasq for dhcp on my LAN and I've got a
>> couple of problems with the host names of the dhcp clients.
>>
>> The first is a Belkin print server which picks up its ip address and passes thro
>> its hostname MFD8FDC7. This appears in dnsmasq.leases - so I should be able to
>> communicate with it now, right?
>>
>> There must be something missing from my dnsmasq config because I see now that
>> any attempt to use the host names of dhcp clients from the gateway server fail
>> with " unknown host ...". I'm on debian stable if that makes any difference
>
> Sounds like your gateway is not using dnsmasq for lookups.  dnsmasq
> tells dhcp clients to use its services, but the gateway you will have
> to manually configure in /etc/resolv.conf to send requests to the
> local dnsmasq process.

I mistakenly included the /etc/hosts file instead of the /etc/resolv.conf file
which would have been far more informative re this problem.

It looks like this:

adam at isengard:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain isengard.localdomain
search isengard.localdomain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 194.74.65.68