[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq not answering DHCP requests

Robert Pollai rap.nospam2 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 6 08:37:25 GMT 2010

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply!

> Is dnsmasq running on the router where the old DHCP software was?  A
> separate computer?  Connected how to the network? (e.g. dnsmasq is
> wired to the router, clients are a mix of wired and wireless)

The previous DHCP server was a router appliance from Linksys. Dnsmasq I run on a NAS from Synology (DS408) with an PPC processor running Linux.
I compiled dnsmasq there myself. The NAS is wired to the router and all clients I tested so far are wired to the router as well.

> What OS?  Could be a firewall/packet filtering issue on either the
> dnsmasq computer or the router. (e.g. router firewall is configured to
> accept DHCP requests but not bridge them to the rest of the network)

I also tested a client that is connected directly to the NAS via a switch, So there is no firewall between. The firewall on the NAS is disabled.

> Make sure that dnsmasq owns port 67 on its machine by running "netstat
> -l" with dnsmasq running and again with dnsmasq stopped.

I did that and dnsmasq has port 67 (shown as "bootps") and also 53 (shown as "domain") for DNS. I tested DNS and it works for machines I have in my /etc/hosts (after I commented no-hosts out of the config file). The DNS does not work for the names I put in via the dhcp-host entries.

Kind regards, Robert

-------- Original-Nachricht --------