[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two questions about the cache and how dnsmasq forwards queries

SamLT samuel.lethiec at intelunix.fr
Thu Feb 11 20:58:17 GMT 2010

Hello,

I have a slow connection and every bit saved is precious! So I installed
dnsmasq, but when I run dnsmasq -dq and watch what's happening, I can see
two things that surprise me:

-> only few queries really benefit from the dnsmasq cache, and I think it
happens when the name is actually a CNAME, but I'm not sure yet.
 eg:
	* dig www.google.com
	* dnsmasq forwards the query then fills its cache with www.google.com
	being a CNAME to www.l.google.com, and an entry with the IP
	www.l.google.com resolved to

	* but if I issue again the dig command, dnsmask forwards again the
	query even though the entries haven't yet expired

Note: I've just tried on an other computer(at home, other OS, other ISP...)
and I don't see this behaviour, I leave the question untouched, since I may
have missed a configuration option? I'll investigate on this further
tomorow and report back.

-> dnsmasq is supposed to help me saving bandwidth, but when it forwards a
query, it forwards it to every nameserver (well, most of the time at
least), isn't there a way to make it forward to only one server at a time,
and to try an other one only if there was a problem (not found, server
down..)

At this point, if you combine the two above points, I'm in the situation
where I have more dns traffic with dnsmasq than without it! and it's quite
irritating...

Thanks for your help.

sam