[Dnsmasq-discuss] Add address file option

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Mar 5 14:58:40 GMT 2010

Don Muller wrote:

> Well you could change the code to read from a file with the caveat the if
> you are trying to bind to a port less than 1024 you have to do a restart.

I could, and then at some point in the future someone would complain,
(legitimately) that it's really very confusing that a configuration file
which works fine when dnsmasq is started for the first time fails if
it's re-read. Then I need to solve the problem that on a re-start there
can be no fatal errors - the daemon is running and has to continue
running, so the effect of doing a re-load is that facilities that were
working, mysteriously, partially fail. As a matter of design, it's
problematic.

> I'd be rather more inclined to extend the DBus interface, which allows
>> dynamic setting of servers (but not source ports)
>>
>> I'm still bewildered why people are so allergic to restarting dnsmasq:
>> it takes almost no time, doesn't disrupt existing connections and the
>> only state lost is the cache, which is quickly and transparently
>> replaced.

Can anybody answer this?