[Dnsmasq-discuss] i should know this...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Apr 3 07:45:58 BST 2010

AJ Weber wrote:
> Is there a way to add "exceptions" to when you have a "local-only"
> ("local=my-domain.com") directive?
>
> For example, I would like to allow global DNS to serve the name for my
> website (even internally) which is www.my-domain.com
> <http://www.my-domain.com>, of course, but would like to continue to
> only resolve others from my dnsmasq.
>
> Something like an exception to the "local" for a specific hostname?
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that would need this, right?

You can't do quite what you want, which is to forward queries for
website.my-domain.com to the same servers as everything else (picked up
from /etc/resolv.conf, presumably)

You can forward website.my-domain.com to a specific set of nameservers,
which might happen to be the same as the ones in /etc/resolv.conf

server=/website.my-domain.com/1.2.3.4
server=/website.my-domain.com/2.3.4.5

Because the domain part is longer than that in the "local=", it will
take priority, for that domain.

It may be worth adding special case where 0.0.0.0 represents the set of
servers from /etc/resolv.conf, but this is something for the future, it
does NOT exist in current releases.