[Dnsmasq-discuss] Add blacklist feature

Don Muller don at djmuller.com
Wed Apr 7 22:13:23 BST 2010

Hi Simon,

I would like to request the ability of dnsmasq to lookup dns names on
blacklist servers. If the dns name is blacklisted then return a specified
configurable address, like 127.0.0.1,  or a not found error instead of the
true address and add it to a blacklist cache. I see it working something
like this.

1.       A  lookup request is received.

2.       Check local (good) cache and hosts file(s).

3.       If found

a.       return address.

4.       If not found

a.       Look up address in blacklist cache

b.      If found

                                                               i.
Return specified address or not found

c.       If not found

                                                               i.      Send
request to blacklist servers.

                                                             ii.      If
blacklisted

1.       Return specified address or not found

2.       Add to blacklist cache

                                                            iii.      If not
blacklisted

1.       Send to dns resolvers

2.       Do normal processing

I think this would be great to eliminate a large number of ad sites, malware
sites, and other bad sites.

Don