[Dnsmasq-discuss] Automatic DHCP client naming

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 16:49:05 BST 2010

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> I can recall reading some warnings about long-running dhcp-scripts, that
>>> they block dnsmasq.  Did this change?
>> It has never been the case, dnsmasq will continue to function even if
>> the a dhcp never completes. The rules go like this: at most one instance
>> of the script is ever running (dnsmasq waits for the script to exit
>> before running the next). Changes to the lease database are which
>> require the script to be invoked are queued waiting running of the
>> script. The only time that a slow script can have any affect is if
>> multiple state-changes occur to a single lease before the script can be
>> run. In that case earlier states are discarded and the current state is
>> refelected when the script runs.
>
> This paragraph really desires a prominent place in the manual.  Thanks
> for the clarification!

I think that information was already there, but no particularly clearly.
I've re-written the --dhcp-script description to make it clearer.

> I'd certainly appreciate something like this.
I'll try and put something together in the next day or two.

> Given some instructions,
> I'd even try implementing it, if it's easy enough.  Is there a public
> source control repo for dnsmasq?

We're rather old-fashioned about that, but an very-nearly-up-to-date
source tree is available at
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases