[Dnsmasq-discuss] manipulate default route

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed May 5 22:02:58 BST 2010

tombert wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> two servers running a DHCP, one of them is using dnsmasq. Connecting
> to these servers (with a single Windows computer), Windows
> automatically adds a default route for each server:
>
> Destination  Netmask  Gateway        Interface       Metric 0.0.0.0
> 0.0.0.0  On-link        90.152.148.15   31 0.0.0.0      0.0.0.0
> 192.168.100.1  192.168.100.10  4235
>
> The route with the 192. gateway is the one running dnsmasq. My
> problem now is that both default routes are configure with a netmask
> 0.0.0.0
>
> Either I need to avoid a default route, better it would be if I could
> configure the netmask the route is using - everything with dnsmasq of
> course.
>
> thx to all thomas

To stop dnsmasq from sending a default route, you just need

dhcp-option=3

in /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

That's probably enough, but if you need to set routes, you need option
121, defined in  RFC-3442. Dnsmasq does support this, but windows may
not. Search the dnsmasq example config for "3442" to see how it's done.

HTH