[Dnsmasq-discuss] configurable stop-dns-rebind?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon May 10 20:36:22 BST 2010

clemens fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one little nit with option "stop-dns-rebind":  it breaks the
> RBL's needed to defend against spam.  If only it could be a sub-option
> to the "server" option to select which servers are allowed to receive
> answers in the 127/8 or some other range!
>
> Maybe a new option is needed, because "server" requires the IP of the
> nameserver.  The configuration would need to allow something like:
>
>   rbl=<rbl-domain>/<allowed-range(s)>
>
> This should signal dnsmasq that clients don't actually use IPs from the
> <allowed-range(s)> for networking and should be returned even with
> "stop-dns-rebind" set.
>
> Simon, would you accept a patch to that effect or implement it yourself?
> How should the possibly new option be named?  "rbl" sounds a bit too
> specific for a general concept like this.

One way to do this which would require very little code would be to
extend the current domain matching code:

server=/subdomain.domain/1.2.3.4

and

address=/subdomain.domain/1.2.3.4

By simply giving the ability to switch off rbl checking on some domains
with something like

rbl-domain=/subdomain.domain/

If the ability to specify particular IP ranges is not needed (why should
it be?) then this could be implemented very cheaply (in terms of
developer effort and extra code-size.)

Would that work?