[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.53 release candidate 1

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Mon May 24 20:56:37 BST 2010

Simon Kelley wrote:

> clemens fischer wrote:
>
>> I have this line in the config:
>>
>>   dhcp-generate-names=tag:wlan
>>
>> dnsmasq-2.53rc1 complains:
>>
>>   dnsmasq: extraneous parameter at line 720 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
>
> Thanks for that: a one-line fix needed. I'll push out 2.53rc2 later today.

While you're at it:

I have this:

    # -ino: 100524-2051 XXX doesn't work! use static host alloc!
    # option 12: hostname
    #dhcp-option = tag:XXX,12,xxx
    #dhcp-option = tag:wlan,51,30m

I wanted to send some hostname and set the lease time depending on that
fabulous tag system, but both are obviously ignored.  I could not
discern is the original

    dhcp-host=tag:XXX,xxx,192.168.3.5,30m

did its thing, though.  The log doesn't mention sending that "xxx"
hostname.  Then again:  the host didn't request one and the manual
doesn't say I can use tags like this.

BTW:  this is confusing (re. "--dhcp-host" option):

    Addresses allocated like this are not constrained to be in the range
    given by the --dhcp-range option, but they must be in the same
    subnet as some valid dhcp-range.  For subnets which don't need a
    pool of dynamically allocated addresses, use the "static" keyword in
    the dhcp-range declaration.

Does this mean I don't have to put some host into the range it was
allocated from, but into any other range specified?  I just don't get
it.

clemens