[Dnsmasq-discuss] No dnsmasq after starting openVPN?!

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:05:35 BST 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Arno Wald <arno.wald at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On 05.06.2010 16:23, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Arno Wald<arno.wald at netcologne.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using debian/sid (sidux) and did a dist-upgrade today that updated
>>> dnsmasq to 2.53-1. Now I have the following problem:
>>
>> Did any other packages get upgraded?
>
> Yes, many other packages have been upgraded. If I grep the dpkg.log
> correctly it were 544 packages, as the new KDE4.4.4 came in. But no
> openvpn packages. The kernel has been upgraded only to another
> sidux-subversion (2.6.34-0.slh.5-sidux-686 to 2.6.34-0.slh.7-sidux-686).
> dnsmasq was upgraded from 2.52-1 to 2.53-1.
>
> As I do not know which things I might check, I do not know which of the
> packages might be interesting to report here.
>
> Also I do not see any differences of "ifconfig" or "route" output after
> the restart of dnsmasq. Also I do not think that dnsmasq modifies
> something in the net or firewall settings on restart, does it? So maybe
> dnsmasq timeouts internally somehow without even reporting something to
> the logs? I already have activated "log-queries", so that normally all
> incoming queries are logged. But in case of the timeout there is no
> output at all.

Here's a guess:

Your debian dnsmasq wrapper script is passing multiple --resolv-conf
options, either on the command-line or via dnsmasq.conf.  Either the
update added a new file to the list, or changes to other packages are
causing one of the listed files to be rewritten which formed wasn't.
dnsmasq sees that one of its resolv.conf files has changed, so it
discards its current list (which was correct) and reads the newly
updated file (which has no usable servers).  When you restart dnsmasq,
it finds the correct list of servers again.

> Because I am confused by the resolvconf package I think about removing
> this to test with less side effects. Does anybody know if this is
> usually required?

The resolvconf package could definitely be participating.

Do you intend to have dnsmasq forward queries through the vpn to
servers on the other side, or continue using the same servers
regardless of whether the vpn is connected?