[Dnsmasq-discuss] segfault - Re: No dnsmasq after starting openVPN?!

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 09:34:49 BST 2010

Arno Wald wrote:
> On 06.06.2010 21:21, Simon Kelley wrote:
>> The only problem with this explanation is that the change to
>> poll_resolv() happened in 2.52. Do you know what version you were
>> running when this last worked?
>
> In the dpkg.logs I found that 2.52-1 came in 2010-01-24. The next
> upgrade was the 2.53 on 2010-06-05. With 2.52 I did not have any problems.

OK, on closer inspection, that makes sense: the problem exists in 2.52,
but will only actually occur very very rarely, on 2.53, the reload if
resolv.conf is forced, so the problem always happens.

>> Please could you try commenting out the call to poll_resolv() at
>> netlink.c line 284, and see if that fixes things?
>
> So I did:
>
>        /* Force re-reading resolv file right now, for luck. */
>        /*poll_resolv(1, 1, dnsmasq_time()); */
>
> and now dnsmasq does not crash anymore when starting openvpn. (I have
> tried it twice. Before the uncommenting it did crash everytime.)

Excellent, thank you. I'll produce a more permanent solution.

> Do you need more info? E.g. reinstalling the crashing version and doing
> what Jan mentioned:
>> Can you try again with gdb typing in:
>> bt full
>> info frame
>> info registers
>> disass $pc
>> list

No need, I'm sure we've nailed the problem I'll have a test release with
the solution soon.

>> Hmmm, and maybe smuggle a "-g3" into the CFLAGS used to compile dnsmasq would be
>> nice.
>
> If so I have the question if I am doing it right to run gdb, start
> openvpn and after this type the mentioned commands into gdb? And also:
> how can I set the -g3 option when remaking the deb package?

fakeroot debian/rules CFLAGS=-g3