[Dnsmasq-discuss] domain-search option "." (Re: Announce: dnsmasq-2.55)

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Fri Jun 11 23:08:05 BST 2010

Simon Kelley wrote:

> That's what I would expect: a single zero byte is the correct
> representation of the the domain name "." in the encoding used, which
>
> thekelleys.org.uk
>
> is <10> thekelleys <3> org <2> uk <0>
>
> The important thing is, does your DHCP client do the right thing with
> this?

I think so.  Up until yesterday, a windows client would query for names
that could not possibly reside in the assigned home domain, looking like
ordinary third-party resources.  It happened not often, but during every
session.  Today this didn't happen at all.  Also, tcpdump marks BOOTP
options looking obviously wrong, which didn't happen for a while.

I'm not sure about this one:

    FQDN Option 81, length 18: [SO] 255/255 "xxx.aaaa.bb.ccc"

(from tcpdump).  The length seems odd.  The actual name is obfuscated,
but not the length of the labels.

I'll keep an eye out for this.  So far, things are looking good,
thank's!

>> BTW:  what does the number "2628496248" mean?  It can't be a date in
>> unix seconds, and it certainly isn't the PID.
>
> It's a random transaction-id sent by the client and echoed back by the
> server, used to associate replies with requests, both by the client
> and readers of the log.

Could have guessed that one!

clemens