[Dnsmasq-discuss] reducing SPOFs

Mariano Absatz el.baby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 03:19:50 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:33, Andrew Elwell <andrew.elwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > if so, is the simplest way to sync /etc/hosts from my master onto it
> > and run in DNS only mode?
>
> OK - following up my own post incase anyone looks through the archives
> for debugging
>
> got this working - main (dnsmasq does DHCP and DNS) server is 192.168.1.251
> second box (linksys with dd-wrt) just doing DNS is 192.168.1.2
>
> altered dnsmasq.conf on master to include
>  dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.251,192.168.1.2
>
> and the linksys box has an scp'd copy of my master /etc/hosts
I have a question about this setup... IIRC, clients can choose
whichever dns server they like, there isn't a preference implied in
the order in which they're handled, is it?

In this case, about half the queries in your network will hit the
router rather than you dnsmasq box. If they try to resolve a dynamic
(dhcp) host (like when you try to ping another pc in your lan using
its name), if the query is handled to the linksys it will answer with
nxdomain...

Or am I wrong in the previous assumption?

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
www.clueless.com.ar