[Dnsmasq-discuss] TFTP for IPv6

Ean Houts ehouts at edgewaternetworks.com
Thu Jun 17 22:43:16 BST 2010

Hello - I'm attempting to use dnsmasq mainly for it's tftp server.  My
requirements are a multi-homed tftp server that serves both ipv4 and
ipv6 tftp clients.

I'm using fedora core 11, and the box as two NICs, both of which have
ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.  One of the NICs has multiple aliases with
distinct subnets (this is a test environment that needs to exercise alot
of different functionality).

Anyway, I have the dnsmasq tftp server running, but it won't respond to
any ipv6 addresses.  dnsmasq reports ipv6 support :
Compile time options IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus no-I18N DHCP TFTP

And I've tried to enable this in the config - the uncommented settings
are :
no-resolv
no-poll
enable-tftp
tftp-root=/export/test_data/tftpboot
tftp-no-blocksize
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d

Unfortunately, tftp starts only listening for ipv4 :
sudo lsof | grep tftp
dnsmasq   24942    nobody    8u     IPv4           11864044
0t0        UDP *:tftp

using the fedora core standard tftpd server, I have no problem
configuring it for ipv6.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very
well with multi-homed hosts :-(

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Ean