[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is updating dnsmasq.conf supposed to update dnsmasq.plist?

John Puffs johnnypuffs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:14:14 BST 2010

Hi All,

A bit confused here...

I only know enough about linux, etc. to be dangerous so forgive my
confusion..

I have dnsmasq installed on Mac OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard. I installed via
macports..

I am only using it as a dns server, not for dhcp (for the moment)

I could NOT get it to work because my router constantly overwrites my
resolv.conf file. So I set up dnsmasq.conf to read a separate file instead
(resolv2.conf).  Still did not work. I finally went into the dnsmasq.plist
file and saw that /etc/resolv.conf was listed. I changed that and everything
was fine.

I have since made other changes to dnsmasq.conf and do not see my
dnsmasq.plist updating.

Is updating dnsmasq.conf supposed to re-write options to dnsmasq.plist?

Where does dnsmasq get it's options from; dnsmasq.conf, dnsmasq.plist or
both??

I have dnsmasq.conf set to read /etc/hosts as well as a separate hosts file
I use for blocking around 16,000 sites. Apparently this is working fine as
it does block the sites and doing a dig shows it is going to 127.0.0.1 for
any site. YET there is nothing in my plist to indicate that dnsmasq is
supposed to read a separate hosts file. This makes me believe idnsmasq gets
it's options from both dnsmasq.conf and dnsmasq.plist...

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. is updating dsnmasq.conf supposed to pass variables to dnsmasq.plist? If
so I don't think mine is.. Why?
2. What variables NEED to be in the .plist file as compared to the conf
file?

Thanks so much for any help!

JP