[Dnsmasq-discuss] using --dhcp-fqdn without setting domain based on IP

Tom Fernandes anyaddress at gmx.net
Wed Sep 22 16:24:39 BST 2010

Hi,

I have my systems send their hostname and domain-name with the DHCP request.
Based on that I want to add the machines to the DNS without configuring IPs or
MAC-adresses though. All the machines are on the same subnets. I have 3
different domains.

Is this possible?

The only way I see at the moment is to use the "dhcp-host=" to give a host a
certain IP-Address and - based on that - have it in a different "domain="
section. But then I have to maintain additional configuration - which I don't
see necessary (I may be missing something) and would try to omit.
Configuring the domains once via "domain=" options is fine of cause. But
having to enter new settings for each machine (via "dhcp-host=") is what I
would like to avoid.

thanks,

Tom