[Dnsmasq-discuss] OS X hosted dnsmasq for AD SRV records

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Nov 23 15:10:10 GMT 2010

Peet McKinney wrote:
> All,
>
> dnsmasq has been an absolute life-saver in my environment. OS X
> Directory services isn't playing nicely with GC discovery in my
> Active Directory environment, so I've brought up a couple instances
> of dnsmasq to help force it into being a good citizen.
>
> I've compiled dnsmasq on 10.6.4 from the 2.55 source and configured
> it to respond correctly to my SRV lookups. I've also installed the
> launchd plist. (Though I have to wonder the value of having that
> plist configured with '--log-queries' and
> '--log-facility=/var/log/dnsmasq.log' by default. Admittedly, I'm an
> idiot for not checking and ending up with a 24GB dnsmasq.log, but
> considering there's not a default rotation for the log it seems a bit
> of an odd choice for a default launchd setup.)

I can't see the point of that either: I'll certainly remove
'--log-queries'. Is it OK on MacOS X to remove the log-facility line
too, and log through the syslogd?

> Since cleaning up my silly logging issues, I'm left with what my
> simply be a standard behavior of dnsmasq, but one that I'd really
> like to find a way around.  When I query SRV records that are in my
> dnsmasq config, they are *always* returned in the same order with no
> randomization. Please see below:

As others have said, it ain't random, the order gets rotated each time.
That would seem to be a sensible thing to do; it's already done for A
records, but the code in the cache subsystem that does that is not in
the path used when answering SRV queries.

> Is there anyway to randomize the answers dnsmasq provides.

It's half a dozen lines of scary linked-list manipulation, could you try

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.56test16.tar.gz

and see if behaves sensibly?