[Dnsmasq-discuss] Handling unknown RTYPEs and querying for version...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 20:57:14 GMT 2010

On 29/11/10 19:30, Nicholas Weaver wrote:

> RFC3597 specifically states how they should be handled (as opaque
> binary data which is passed unchanged), but almost all fail to process
> our request for a made-up type (type # 169).
>
> a)  Could someone run Netalyzr against a NAT running the latest
> Dnsmasq code and send me the result link?

OK, I just did this, and got the error.

Your NAT has a built-in DNS proxy. We sent it a DNS request and our
server received it from 62.253.128.100.
Some or all specialized DNS types checked are not properly interpreted
by the NAT's DNS proxy. The following tested queries were blocked/failed:

     * RTYPE=169 (deliberately unknown) records.

62.253.128.100 is cmbg-dnsany-1.server.virginmedia.net. which makes
sense, as my ISP is viginmedia. I'm very sure that a query for RTYPE=169
will have been forwarded Ok by dnsmasq, so  maybe the problem is at the
ISP end?

Is there a command line tool that will generate these queries simply?
dig only sends queries whose name it knows.

The ID of the netalyzer run was  43ca208a-28815-3a04eee7-dbda-4220-84b4
if that's useful.