[Dnsmasq-discuss] PXE service across subnets

GARRISON, TRAVIS J. garrisot at otc.edu
Fri Dec 3 21:29:16 GMT 2010

We have tried searching but we could not find an answer to our problem. Our clients cannot pxe boot from our dnsmasq server across different subnets. We have the dnsmasq server configured to proxy the dhcp requests to our main dhcp server. We have created helper addresses for both the dhcp and pxe server on the different subnets. Pxe booting works fine when on the same network. What are we missing?

dnsmasq.conf
dhcp-range=172.25.16.0,proxy
dhcp-range=172.26.36.0,proxy
dhcp-range=172.30.0.0,proxy

dhcp-ignore=tag:!known

dhcp-host=00:18:71:6e:c8:98
dhcp-host=00:1b:78:91:aa:6b,set:thin
dhcp-host=00:23:7D:CA:33:0F,set:thin
dhcp-host=00:1b:78:91:af:a1,set:thin
dhcp-host=00:1b:78:91:af:d2,set:thin

pxe-service=tag:thin,x86PC, "Thin Client 2", /thin/pxelinux

pxe-prompt=tag:!thin,"PXE Boot, Press F8 for menu.", 10
pxe-service=tag:!thin,x86PC, "Boot from local disk"

Thanks
Travis