[Dnsmasq-discuss] Wildcard Subdomains: DNS/DHCP ??

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Dec 13 11:55:31 GMT 2010

richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:
> Have you tried using the cname option?  I'm not sure if stock dnsmasq
> allows wildcards during cname matching, but there's definitely a patch
> to add it floating around here somewhere...

OP: you can't do what you want with stock dnsmasq.

Richard: are you sure about the patch? There's one to add regexp
matching to --server and --address, but I'm not aware if one for
wildcards for CNAMEs. It's a good idea though, to allow something like

cname=*.thekelleys.org.uk,server.thekelleys.org.uk

That add the functionality without touching the huge mass of code that
assumes a DHCP lease has exatclt one name associated with it.

There would have to be some thought given to avoiding the problem where
server.thekelleys.org.uk (in the above example) accidentally resolved to
a CNAME of itself.

Simon.