[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request for dhcp-hostfiles to behave like addn-hosts

Jan Psota jasiu at kkfsa.pl
Thu Dec 16 19:45:21 GMT 2010

> > A tangential question, I've increased MAXLEASES to
> >
> > #define MAXLEASES 16384
> >
> > in config.h. Is there any danger in having this many leases and
> > increasing this even higher if necessary? I'm a few weeks away from
> > being able to test this at scale and appreciate any warnings or
> > feedback anyone might have now.
> >
> If you get bitten anywhere, it will be performance writing the lease
> file. That gets truncated and re-written for every change. On reasonable
> storage it should be fine, but maybe not on a slow flash drive. If it's
> a problem that's that prefect excuse to write a script to move the
> database to a MySQL backend, right?

If you would talk about SQLite rather, Simon, it would look more
achievable :-) Nearly every Linux (and not only) uses SQLite in some
places nowadays, and any database which needs a server complicates
things. I understand, that it is only a proposal for users, but with
one-file-database it can be included as "#ifdef SQLITE" patch.

--
Jan