[Dnsmasq-discuss] expand-hosts

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 19:34:15 GMT 2010

Maybe Simon can figure out what you're saying, but I can't.  If you included
some specific examples it would make your situation much easier to
understand.

e.g. (and if your situation doesn't substantially match this made-up
example, go and re-read the description of the expand-hosts option)

<<<Begin made-up example>>>

/etc/hosts has an entry for the unqualified name xyzzy:

aaa.bbb.ccc.71 xyzzy

/etc/resolv.conf points to localhost first, then my ISP

server 127.0.0.1
server aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

nslookup xyzzy works:

> nslookup xyzzy
Authoritative response from 127.0.0.1: aaa.bbb.ccc.71 (A record)

nslookup xyzzy.domain.com also succeeds, but I think it shouldn't with
expand-hosts turned off:

> nslookup xyzzy.domain.com
Authoritative response from 127.0.0.1: aaa.bbb.ccc.71 (A record)

I want this to return NXDOMAIN instead.  How can I configure dnsmasq to do
that?

<<<End made-up example>>>