[Dnsmasq-discuss] How can I run dnsmasq DHCP-only ?

Tom {Tomcat} Oehser tom at toms.net
Sun Jan 23 05:58:24 GMT 2011

Hi -

I would like to run the dnsmasq dhcp-server, but not the dns-server.

(This is because, I am runing bind9, I have secondaries out there, I have
an existing bind9 configuration file, etc. etc.) (I don't want to run the
ISC dhcpd because I have the dnsmasq configuration all working in openwrt
already, I don't want to have to munge it into dhcpd.conf format...).

Right now, when openwrt starts up, bind loads successfully, then dnsmasq
complains that it can't get the port for DNS, and gives up.

What is the easiest way to make it run DHCP only?  Is there a straightforward
way to fake it out to listen on, say, another port?  Or, better, to just
forget about the nameserver part and only try to be a DHCP server?

I am fine with the DHCP server part and the luci-configuration and all...

-Thanks, -Tom
--
"Let us do our duty in our shop or our kitchen, the market, the street, the
office, the school, the home, just as faithfully as if we stood in the front