[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP on IP alias (Linux)

Tomasz Wasiak tjwasiak at poczta.onet.pl
Tue Jan 25 14:20:22 GMT 2011

Hello!

I would like to kindly ask what happened to feature which I had been using in the past (I just found a backup of configuration files from a company where I was System Administrator from late August 2009) - working DHCP on IP alias with bind-interfaces.
I was trying to set up similar scenario now (using 2.56rc2) and I got working DNS, but not DHCP.

Dnsmasq 2.56rc2 build without IPV6, TFTP & I18N (getopt, DBus & DHCP compiled in).
Highly customized Slackware Current (X86_64), kernel 2.6.38-rc2-git2, glibc-2.12.2

Configuration file (DHCP related part):
listen-address=10.0.15.3, 127.0.0.1
bind-interfaces
domain=xyz.abc.de
dhcp-range=mynet,10.0.15.50-10.0.15.100,3h
dhcp-option=mynet,1,255.255.255.0
dhcp-option=mynet,3,10.0.15.1
dhcp-option=mynet,6,10.0.15.3
mx-host=xyz.abc.de,mailhub.xyz.abc.de,5
mx-target=mailhub.xyz.abc.de
local-mx

Netstat -tulanp shows
tcp 127.0.0.1/53 listen (pid)/dnsmasq
tcp 10.0.15.3/53 listen (pid)/dnsmasq
udp 127.0.0.1/53 listen (pid)/dnsmasq
udp 10.0.15.3/53 listen (pid)/dnsmasq
udp 0.0.0.0/67 listen (pid)/dnsmasq

DNS is working properly - I can use it locally via loopback and eth2:2 (10.0.15.3) and from whole subnet without any issues.
DHCP is not working at all! Dnsmasq is blind - it is not even trying to answer any query. Running dnsmasq -d --log-dhcp showed nothing more than just dnsmasq -d.
Replacing listen-address with interface=eth2 make it work - but it is responding on every eth2 alias (and I can not accept that).

Am I doing something wrong, or something in DHCP/IP alias was changed in dnsmasq in last 18 months?

Best Regards,

Tomasz Wasiak