[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re : cooperation with samba?

Vincent Cadet v_cadet at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 8 15:07:31 GMT 2011

> Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth <mike at dcsamerica.com> once wrote:
>
>I agree completely with this.  I currently use dnsmasq with a samba 3 domain and
>

>do not want to have to abandon dnsmasq to utilize samba 4.

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:

in the samba mailinglist there was a remark that samba 4 is designed
only for the BIND nameserver; look escpecially at

> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-February/160848.html

That'd be Paradise in Hell :D . [With all due respect of course.]

I don't want to tear all your hopes down but I expect Samba 4 developers to have

made up their mind and select BIND for strong and unavoidable reasons. Don't get

me wrong, I don't like BIND [at all] either but I expect something as complex as

Active Directory, which requires a high-level of interactivity with components
like the DNS system, can most probably be done with a reasonable amount of
efforts with BIND only. Active Directory is nothing lightweight and the choices
that led to using BIND must have been carefully weighed IMHO.

I guess for such a [big] feature to be included in dnsmasq, the developers would

have to sync for a fair amount of their time with Samba 4 team. IMHO such a
feature is beyond «nice to have».

Vince C.