[Dnsmasq-discuss] hostnames dhcp-client (debian squeeze)

go4unkwn at hushmail.com go4unkwn at hushmail.com
Thu Feb 10 11:40:42 GMT 2011

Hello all

I have a small home network with a linksys routers using the
firmware dd-wrt.
I use dnsmasq as a dhcp/dns server. And till now I thought that
dnsmasq can distribute IP's and hostnames using the mac-address
from the clients.

But now I am unconfident, because I try to set up a QNAP TS-110
(using debian squeeze as operating system) and I am not able to
configure the QNAP to gets its hostname from the router (dd-wrt,
dnsmasq).

In my dnsmasq.conf I use
domain=foo.home
dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-host=00:08:9b:dd:ee:ff,qnap-ts110,192.168.xxx.yyy,infinite

On my Debian6-QNAP i use the default /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,

Is dnsmasq able to deliver hostnames to dhcp-clients?
Please do not misunderstand me. I won't be rude,
but I will locate the source of error.

Kind regards, Roland