[Dnsmasq-discuss] Use dnsmasq to dhcp the very interface it's running on?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Mar 9 17:25:25 GMT 2011

OK, riddle me this:

I have a br0 which bonds several eth1, eth2 and wlan0.  DNSmasq will
listen on br0 and therefore supply addresses to clients on those
interfaces via dhcp.  For various reasons it would be handy to have br0
itself configured via dhcp - is this possible..?

My tests so far using dhcpcd appear to suggest not.  The bridge comes
up, but I don't seem to get a response to my dhcp request, most probably
due to dnsmasq filtering the request because it doesn't match the
address range on the interface it's binding to (because it's not yet
configured)

I guess this is of marginal value, but I'm building an embedded system
and at least on the surface this appears to allow me to centralise some
more configuration and dynamically modify fewer files?

Grateful for any pointers as to whether this should in fact be possible
though?

Thanks

Ed W