[Dnsmasq-discuss] 54:server-identifier set to '0.0.0.0' in 2.55

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 15:28:04 GMT 2011

List,

Mike and I took this off list, just so that we could look at details of
Mike's network infrastructure without broadcasting them on the net.

The conclusion we've come to is this: the problem only occurs when using
dhcp-relays to concentrate DHCP on remote networks to a central dnsmasq
DHCP server. The failure sequence looks like this.

1) Client on remote network gets a new lease (DHCP interaction goes via
relay)

2) dnsmasq is restarted

3) No new leases are given on the network, so no packets come via the relay

4) The client in step one _renews_ the lease, which will go direct, and
not via the relay.

Code which has been tested to fix this problem is available at

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.58test5.tar.gz