[Dnsmasq-discuss] logging dns queries

Carlos Carvalho carlos at fisica.ufpr.br
Sat Mar 19 01:51:40 GMT 2011

Frederick C. Damen (fred at damen.org) wrote on 18 March 2011 18:10:
 > From reading this thread I would agree with both sides, syslog in
 >dnsmasq is not fully documented

It is. It clearly says logs will go to either syslog or to a file.

 >and syslog configuration is the place to implement the fix.

No, it could very well separate different functions in different
files. It's just not implemented like this (and I'm not asking for
it).

Logging to a file is better than syslog when you have lots of logs.
dnsmasq has all the support for log rotation, so in fact using a file
is always better if you turn on logging.

 >I also noticed that the log messages in the /var/log/messages for the
 >DHCP REQUEST/ACK the string after the hostname and before the [pid], (I
 >assume this is the ident parameter to openlog), is 'dnsmasq-dhcp'.  Am I
 >to assume that --log-queries will produce a value of 'dnsmasq-dns'

No, just dnsmasq.

 >and other messages will produce just 'dnsmasq'?

The "others" are only dnsmasq-tftp.