[Dnsmasq-discuss] Weird issue when pinging FQDN

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Mar 31 08:47:57 BST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 04:18:27PM -0500, Frederick C. Damen wrote:
> I suspect you may find the cause of your issue to do with the fact that
> ping resolves names with resources, i.e. files etc, local to the machine
> before finding a DNS server to resolve the name.  Dig I am lead to
> believe goes straight to the DNS server.

I think this may well relate to my question a week or so ago.

> I had a problem arising from a machine that had a 'domain' or 'search'
> configuration statement in /etc/resolv.conf which did not exist on all
> the other machines on the LAN causing symptoms similar to what you describe.

I have found that I need to remove a load of default junk that gets
installed into /etc/hosts on the client machines in order that those
machines pick up their FQDN from the dnsmasq server correctly.

E.g. on this machine (which is a client machine) the /etc/hosts is
simply:-

    127.0.0.1   localhost

    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

If Network Manager is installed it will *change* /etc/hosts as follows:-

    127.0.0.1       chris   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    ::1     chris   localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

The above screws up the client machines FQDN and various things complain
about it.

Oh, /etc/resolv.conf is:-

    nameserver 192.168.1.2
    domain zbmc.eu