[Dnsmasq-discuss] Switching from ISC dhcpd and IPv6 DNS

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon Apr 25 01:29:14 BST 2011

On 2011-04-21 13:56, Simon Kelley wrote:

> This is only vaguely on topic, and certainly doesn't provide an
> immediate solution for the original query, but it's worth announcing
> that I'm starting to think seriously about adding DHCPv6 support to
> dnsmasq.  My current thoughts are that I'll also add basic
> router-advertisement support too, for an "all in one" IPv6 solution for
> little-plastic-routers.
>
> I was talking to the head of one of the more technically savy ISPs here
> in the UK last month and he said that the one thing stopping them from
> deploying IPv6 is a lack of consumer-grade routers that do it properly,
> so this is my contribution to solving that problem.

  Holey carp, man; that's AWESOME news.  That would save the need for
shoehorning 1-2 more packages into sometimes meager space.  I use SLAAC
rather than DHCPv6 (for now), but largely because I can't be bothered to
install yet another blob of software for minimal added functionality.
(There's also the pesky subject of client support, but that's only going
to get better.)
  Very happy to hear -- thanks!  I'm looking forward to this.

      Jima