[Dnsmasq-discuss] no-resolv no-hosts ?

Wim Langers wim.langers at adrias.biz
Thu May 12 19:13:14 BST 2011

Hello list ,

I have been a happy Dnsmasq user for some time now.  Did take some time to get my head wrapped around all the (to me) new idioms and technology but I managed to struggle through.

Now I'm trying to configure something like a (cold) back up server with Dnsmasq (DNS + DHCP server).  Perhaps these DHCP-lease time thingies were getting in the way or something but even on a separate network I can't get it to work.

My configuration(s)

machine (old)
	tiny core linux 3.1
	dnsmasq 2.49

machine (new)
	tiny core linux 3.6
	dnsmasq 2.55

With the same configuration files (hosts, resolv and dnsmasq) it doesn't work and /etc/hosts gets overwritten with some "ipv6" stuff that wasn't there before (on the old machine).

Now the actual question (allthough any pointers to a similar setup are apreciated) :
I finally opted to specify all settings in dnsmasq.conf itself and not read the hosts and resolv files (options no-hosts and no-resolv)
Much to my surprise this doesn't work and actually in the log file it says "reading /etc/resolv.conf" and "reading /etc/hosts".  What's with this behaviour ?

On a related note :
Is it possible to have all settings (also for name resolution on the server machine) in dnsmasq.conf or does it require some "nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" and/or some "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX hostname" in a(n) external file(s) ?

Hope someone can shed some light on this, because have been running in circles for a week now :-)

cheers ,

wim

dnsmasq.conf

domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
strict-order
server=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=/LOCAL_DOMAIN/127.0.0.1
server=127.0.0.1#53
local=/LOCAL_DOMAIN/
no-hosts
expand-hosts
domain=LOCAL_DOMAIN
dhcp-range=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,1h
dhcp-host=MAC_ADDR,SERVER_1,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
dhcp-host=MAC_ADDR,SERVER_2,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
dhcp-host=MAC_ADDR,SOME_CLIENT,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
dhcp-option=option:router,XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
server=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX #router