[Dnsmasq-discuss] Logging of DHCP activity

dnsmasq at lovelady.com dnsmasq at lovelady.com
Wed May 25 15:18:00 BST 2011

> The question, surely, is why
> is the client  repeatedly getting a DHCP lease de-novo.

Thank you for your reply, Simon, but no -that is not the question.  The
question is "how to I make dnsmasq NOT log DHCP requests to syslog?  It
seems that there is a "log-dhcp" configuration parameter with no
counterpart.  Given that, I expected the default to be "don't log."

 It may be
> because of something in the replies it gets from dnsmasq, or it may be
> because of other factors, we don't have enough information to judge,
> yet.

Possible.  But that's a separate issue.  How Winblows responds to duplicate
IP addresses within a single machine, I do not know.   On the one hand, I
would not have noticed this issue and I'm glad I got it cleared up.  But on
the other hand, dnsmasq doesn't seem to have identified any problem with
these requests, and seems to have logged them as a matter of course.  I
don't think that should be, but that might be because there's a
configuration parameter to prevent such logging... and I haven't set it
(yet).